• 66°

PEEKING INTO THE PAST – Pfeiffer University (Mitchell School)

What we now know as Pfeiffer University first began as the Oberlin School and it was located on Lick Mountain near Lenoir.

In 1903 the school was purchased and renamed Mitchell School. A fire in 1908 destroyed the school and it was temporarily moved into the town of Lenoir. The school then moved to its present location in Misenheimer in 1910 and the name was changed to Pfeiffer Junior College in 1934.

Today’s picture, from the Mary Fisher Floyd Archives & Special Collections, Pfeiffer University collection, shows the first graduating class (1913) at the Misenheimer location.

First row: Fannie Bame, Ally Jordan Hucks, Lilly Heath Thomasson, Pearl Johnson Totton.

Back Row: Mrs. Ellen Lefler, Will Hood, Roger Thomasson, Bertie Cline

{Lewis Bramlett – Stanly County Historical Society}