New London, Bethany and two other departments respond to late morning residential fire
The New London Volunteer Fire Department and the Bethany Volunteer Fire Department responded to a residential structure at 11:24 a.m. Monday on Austin Road in New London.
The fire originated in the basement and stemmed from a buildup of a dark brown oil called creosote in the chimney, said Stanly County Assistant Fire Marshal Evan Faulkner, noting that the cause of the fire was accidental. Only one person was in the home at the time of the fire but they safely made it out and called the fire department.
Richfield-Misenheimer Fire Department and Albemarle Fire Department Station 3 also assisted.
Faulkner said it took about 40 minutes for firefighters to control the fire.
Aside from some smoke damage upstairs, the damage from the fire was contained to the basement.
According to an email Monday afternoon from Stanly County Schools’ Athletic Director Beverly Pennington, Friday’s home opening varsity football game... read more