By Charles Curcio, Sports Editor
The Stanly News & Press
Monday, December 24, 2012 —
At the South Stanly home basketball game on Dec. 14, eleven former South athletes were recognized for their achievements in high school by being inducted into the South Stanly Athletic Department’s Wall of Fame.
To be enshrined in the Wall of Fame, a student-athlete at South Stanly must meet certain criteria to qualify.
Athletes must be selected to a sport’s All-Conference team for four consecutive years, be selected to a sport’s All-State team or win an individual state championship.
In the 2011-12 season, a record 12 athletes qualified to be enshrined in the Wall of Fame.
Of the athletes enshrined this year, 11 of them played on the baseball and softball squad for South Stanly that claimed the 2012 1A state championships.
Alex Thompson was the lone individual state championship winner, claiming the 1A 125-pound state championship in 2010 and the 130-pound 1A title in 2011.
Alphabetically, here are the other student-athletes inducted:
– Heath Blackmon was a member of the 2009 and 2011 state champion baseball teams, as well as being named All-State in 2012. He is currently attending and playing baseball at Brevard College.
– Landon Fraley, also a member of the ‘09 and ‘12 state baseball title teams, was named All-State in 2011 and is currently attending and playing baseball for UNC-Chapel Hill.
– Ali Gallagher is a two-time softball All-State selection in 2011 and 2012, as well as being All-Yadkin Valley Conference the past two seasons and a member of the 2012 1A state title team. Gallagher is now attending Wingate University.
– Lacey Leary was a member of the 2012 1A state championship squad, and was named to the All-State squad in both 2011 and 2012. Leary is currently attending and playing softball for Spartanburg Methodist College.
– J.P. Lisk was a member of both the 2009 and 2012 state title baseball squads and was selected both All-YVC and All-State in 2012. Lisk is playing baseball at Greensboro College.
– Emily Poplin qualified for the Wall in two sports. She was All-YVC four seasons in cross-country and was named all-state in softball three years, and was a member of the 2012 1A state title team. She attends UNC-Wilmington.
– Grayson Short is a member of the 2009 and 2012 state championship baseball squads at South Stanly. Short was named All-State in 2012 and is currently attending and playing baseball at Louisburg College.
– Hayley Swaringen was named to the All-Yadkin Valley Conference and the All-State softball teams in 2010 and 2011, along with being a member of the 2012 1A state softball champs. She is attending Stanly Community College.
– Along with his two individual wrestling state titles, Alex Thompson was a four-time All-Conference selection in Cross County. He is currently attending N.C. State University.
– Erin Thompson qualified for the Wall of Fame in two sports. She was a four-time member of the All-Conference teams in cross-country, and was named All-YVC and All-State in softball in 2010 and 2011. A member of the 2012 state title team, Thompson now attends UNC-Chapel Hill.
– Stephen Wallace was All-YVC in baseball in 2010-201, as well as being named YVC Player of the Year in 2012 and a two-time All-State selection in 2011 and 2012. He currently attends and plays baseball at Winthrop University.
– Nikki Whitley was named All-YVC for four seasons in softball and was named 1A All-State three seasons as well. She is attending Stanly Community College.